What is Vietnam Visa Exemption?
Vietnam visa exemption (also known as Vietnam visa waiver, or Vietnam visa-free) means the case that a foreign national is allowed to enter Vietnam and stay in the country for a certain period of time without having to follow any Vietnam visa procedure as the Vietnam government has signed the bilateral/unilateral visa exemption agreement for his/her country.
Vietnam Visa Exemption countries
As of January 2022, regular passport holders of 25 countries DO NOT need a visa for Vietnam. Here is the full list of Vietnam visa-free countries:
|No.||Country||Maximum visa-free duration||Applicable purpose of visit (if any)|
|1||Chile||90 days||Entries that do not include remunerated activities|
|2||Panama||90 days||Entries that do not include remunerated activities|
|3||Cambodia||30 days||Not mentioned|
|4||Indonesia||30 days||Not mentioned|
|5||Kyrgyzstan||30 days||Not mentioned|
|6||Laos||30 days||Not mentioned|
|7||Malaysia||30 days||Tourism, attending press, conference/coverage, official duty, visiting relatives, business negotiation, investment, sports, or attending seminars or conferences|
|8||Singapore||30 days||Entries that do not include remunerated activities|
|9||Thailand||30 days||Not mentioned|
|10||Philippines||21 days||Not mentioned|
|11||Brunei||14 days||Not mentioned|
|12||Myanmar||14 days||Visiting only|
|13||Belarus||45 days||Not mentioned|
|14||Denmark||45 days||Not mentioned|
|15||Finland||45 days||Not mentioned|
|13||France||45 days||Not mentioned|
|17||Germany||45 days||Not mentioned|
|18||Italy||45 days||Not mentioned|
|19||Japan||45 days||Not mentioned|
|20||Norway||45 days||Not mentioned|
|21||Russia||45 days||Not mentioned|
|22||South Korea||15 days||Not mentioned|
|23||Spain||45 days||Not mentioned|
|24||Sweden||45 days||Not mentioned|
|25||United Kingdom (Not applicable to BNO)||45 days||Not mentioned|
Important notes regarding Vietnam visa exemption:
- The 30-day interval between 02 stays with visa exemption has been removed in accordance with the new law on entry, exit, transit, and residence of foreigners in Vietnam which takes effect on July 1, 2020.
- British National Overseas (BNO) passport holders are not eligible for the 45-day Vietnam visa exemption. So, they need to apply for a visa to visit Vietnam.
- Visa exemption includes visa exemption for entry, exit and transit.
- The visa-free stay period is counted from the date of entry.
The above information about the Vietnam visa exemption (updated on March 15, 2021) is provided for informational purposes only, please double-check with the official authorities in your current country before departure.
Other Vietnam Visa Exemption Cases
- The 30-day visa exemption is granted to those entering the coastal economic zones decided by the Government when those zones meet the following conditions:
- having an international airport,
- having their own space;
- having defined geographical boundaries and being separate from the mainland;
- being in line with socio-economic development policies while posing no threat to the national defense, security, social order, and safety of Vietnam.
- APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) holders with valid passports are exempted from Vietnam visa requirements for a stay of no longer than 60 days.
Conditions for Making Vietnam Visa Exemption
To enter Vietnam with a Vietnam visa exemption, the eligible travelers are required to ensure:
- their passport valid for at least 6 months following their date of arrival in Vietnam; and
- their passport has at least 02 blank pages.
Vietnam Visa Exemption Extension
Before Covid, the Vietnam visa exemption can be extended in Vietnam. However, it cannot be done today.
Those who want to further remain in Vietnam after the exemption duration ends must leave Vietnam for a neighboring country (such as Thailand, Cambodia, or Laos) and come back with a new visa exemption. This way of stay extension is called Visa Run.
In case you need support for this service, feel free to let us know at our hotline/zalo/whatsapp/. +84.904.879.729 or our email firstname.lastname@example.org